Thursday, May 26, 2011

It is so hard to obey!

As you can imagine, we spend a lot of time talking to our kids about making good choices.  We talk about the fact that bad choices have consequences and how good it feels to make good choices;  how proud we are of them when they obey us and how happy it makes God when we obey Him.

The other morning, William and I were in my closet as I was picking out my suit for work ... and here is the conversation:
  • William:  I try to obey but it is so hard Mommy.
  • Me:  I  know William.  Mommy and Daddy have to obey God too and I know it is hard sometimes.  But you know what?
  • William:  What?
  • Me:  When you are having a hard time making good choices, if you just stop and talk to God and ask Him, He will help you obey.
  • William (just looks at me--it is obvious he is thinking)
  • Me:  The Bible tells us that all things are possible thru God
  • William:  All things?
  • Me:  Yes, we can do anything or be anything with God's help
  • William:  (after a long pause)  Can I be a mermaid?
  • Me:  No.  Mermaids are not real.  
How can a 4 year old think that quickly on his feet?  I have told this story a few times to different friends and everyone thinks it is so funny.  I, however, am amazed at his ability to test what I am telling him at such a young age.  I think we are going to be in trouble as he gets older!

William is all boy.  He is rough and rowdy and loud.  He loves to play rough and we often have to caution him not to hurt others.  He plays really well with older kids and that works nicely with his desire to play rough as the older kids can take it better than kids his own age.  He is warm and affectionate and loves to give kisses and hugs.  He is handsome (in that Abercrombie way) and has the most wonderful head of hair.  And he is smart.  Really, really smart.

Once again, God knew what he was doing!  William is that daily reminder to me that God is so good.  With all of the premie complications he had, for him to be so perfect and for all of his premie "stuff" to have healed without medication or medical intervention, he is somewhat of a little miracle!

Oh, and did I mention that he is in a phase right now where he detests having his picture taken?  So, the best picture I have of him recently is one of him and Addison.  So here you go!




No comments: